Sunday, July 18, 2010

The Springs Were Hot, Hot, Hot

Every weekend I spend in Costa Rica has been completely different, and this weekend was no exception. It began with Lindsay, Kelly, and I seeing Toy Story 3 in Spanish on Thursday, which was really interesting since I had seen it in English. Whenever Buzz was switched to Spanish mode, he spoke with a Castilian accent, and it was called his "romantic" mode instead.
Friday night Kelly and I went to Fung Sheng just to play cards and pass the time. We actually got a little hungry, so we shared a $4 meal of wings, fries, and coke in glass bottles. While I dominated every card game we played, we were able to watch Saw V with no sound and Spanish subtitles.
Saturday Lindsay, Kelly, and I caught a bus to La Fortuna, the town closest to Arenal Volcano. As soon as we got off the bus, a man made us follow him to a hostel where we could stay for only $8 a night. I was up for sacrificing quality for a deal, but I had no idea to what extent. We got the only room without a window. In fact our window was replaced with concrete. We decided this was to make the room lava proof. You know you're staying in a top quality room when the shower is the nicest part.
After a nice lunch at La Parada, I met up with Erin, Isabel, Danika, and Jessica to go to the hot springs. I have never felt more relaxed in my life. The place was gorgeous. The were five pools that went up the side of a hill, and the water got increasingly hotter as you moved up. There were even waterfalls built in to connect the pools to one another. After a good two hours of relaxing, we had one of the best meals I have had in Costa Rica. We had all you can eat rice, beans, and tortillas with an actual steak. It was the biggest piece of protein I have had since I have been here, and it was beyond delicious.
I just got home a little over an hour ago, and I am finishing up my homework now. It is crazy to think that there are only 12 days left! I am hoping to go to Tortuguero next weekend with some friends to see the canals and turtles laying eggs. It should be the perfect way to end this amazing experience! Well, it'll actually end with the 7 page paper on which I am currently working. Gross but Pura Vida anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment