Friday, July 16, 2010

España en Cultura y Literatura

This past weekend I enjoyed a little less than twelve hours with my dad and brother at the Holiday Inn Express by the airport. I have to say it was one of the best moments of this trip. I hate that they did not have the time to let me show them this city I love, but I am so happy I got to see them. We spent most of the time together in Denny's talking about their trip. I wish I could have taken a week off from school to go with them. They got to see a side of Costa Rica that I won't be able to. I feel like they have more Tico friends than I do now.
After they left Saturday, my friend Jessica and I took my new German roommate Alissa downtown to watch the consolation match for the World Cup between Germany and Uruguay. We watched the first half in Spoon, which is a chain restaurant here. Then we went to get our tickets for the bus to the beach and watched the second half in a random bar by the bus station. After the German victory, a sixty-year-old drunk woman came up to chat with us about her life. This was highly entertaining as her English was not great and neither was the Spanish of my roommate.
On Sunday, the three of us went to one of the nastiest but closest beaches in Costa Rica, Puntarenas. We spent all morning lying out in the sun, and thanks to Alissa's poor sunscreen application on my back I know have a small burned patch of skin on my lower right back that is turning purple. We ate lunch at a tiny restaurant on the beach and watched the wonderful match between Spain and Holland.
This week has been pretty chill. I've just been reading for class. I can't seem to escape Spain in my life. First, I went there. Then the world cup started, and now I am reading Spanish literature everyday. I am currently working on my devil of a final paper about the effects of the adaptation of Euripides Hippolytus into Unamuno's Fedra.
Tomorrow, I am going to Volcano Arenal for a one day adventure including a hot springs visit. It should be a fun day with great people. Lindsey, Kelly, and I are leaving at 6:15 in the morning, and I'm meeting up with Erin, Jessica, Danika, and Isabel once we get there. I'm glad I have Harry Potter y el Orden del Fénix to make the 4 hour bus ride better. Pura Vida!

No comments:

Post a Comment