Sunday, July 31, 2011

Moments in the Woods

Week 5 brought with it a new visit named Michael Wolfe from Missoula, Montana, or "Wolfman" as the executive director calls him. It's been nice to have someone as equally clueless as to what to do until we start teaching. I felt bad that I didn't have more knowledge to offer him after having worked there a month. This week was actually a little more productive than normal. We took a super exciting field trip to Fayette, AL, a large small town in West Alabama. While that last sentence seems to be full of sarcasm, it was actually nice to get out of the office and meet some people that I'll run into when working in that county. The trip also included a wonderful lunch at a barbecue restaurant. Food is always a highlight in any good venture.
Also, this week I had a very angry woman yell at me on the phone at work. If I have learned one thing, it is that not everyone can be helped when you are working the parameters of a larger organization. This is not what people want to hear, however. I tried to explain to this woman how we could help her, but she wasn't pleased with my response. I have the unfortunate feeling that this will not be the last phone call like this I take.
In non work related news, per Michelle's suggestion Chris and I went to see Harry Potter at a drive-in in Harpersville, an actual small town down 280. It was an interesting experience listening to a movie through a radio at a place that didn't take debit cards but did accept checks. The movie was far more enjoyable the second time even with the mugginess of a summer night in Alabama.
I finally got to eat at Camp Taco, asked a waiter at Pacific Rim to give me children's chopsticks, and payed $20 to have my hair not noticeably cut. The coming week promises a visit to the sparsely populated Lamar County and the actual graduation ceremony that should have happened a few months ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment