Saturday, July 9, 2011

Keeper of the Keys

Well, week two was more entertaining than week one. I am still really excited about starting what I am supposed to be doing, but I enjoy the random office tasks that I am getting to do.
My favorite had to be when I was given a bag of keys and told to find out what they went to in the the office. I was able to label most of them, but some are still without a known purpose.
Other than that, I've spent hours in the Access volunteer database and answering phone calls. I'm starting to learn a little more about case work for disaster victims since I can't do too much else before I take all of my classes.

The only distressing thing to me about this job is that it's discrimination clause for volunteers does not protect against sexual orientation. I knew the Red Cross refused blood of gay men and women based on old stereotypes from the GRID era, but I had no clue that they would exclude an entire group of people from being discriminated against. Luckily, this is just a corporate thing. I don't think the majority of the people I work with feel that way.

In other news, Martha and I got third place out of twenty-two teams at trivia last week. The 4th of July was amazing. Creighton makes the Wesley Foundation a sadly different place. Harry Potter premieres Thursday at midnight. I have found a fellow Buffy lover with whom to converse, and it's wonderful.


No comments:

Post a Comment