Sunday, July 24, 2011

A Very Kitchy Christmas

I cannot believe that I have worked at the Red Cross for a month now. That is crazy. This week proved to be the most fruitful in terms of tasks. The highlight being that a woman who spoke mostly Spanish came in, and I got to translate between her and a caseworker. I was just glad that she actually understood me after a semester's hiatus from Spanish class. I also took my second training course in Shelter Operations. My teacher was rather old and deaf and believed "oriental" was a word that could be used to refer to an entire group of people. Needless to say, I learned very little about actual shelter operations, but I have an 80 page manual to look at that she never used.
In non work news, the Chudley Cannons got 4th place out of 25 teams in trivia last Thursday, and we were pretty pumped. I also got to go to my favorite restaurant in Birmingham, Rojo, with my favorite Puerto Rican/ German hybrid, Karissa Bursch, and then enjoyed a wonderful porch party in Southside with some great theatre people.
The later half of the weekend consisted of a Christmas in July party with kitchy Dirty Santa. I ended up with frog salt and pepper shakers and twelve beers to replace two that had been taken accidentally from me the night before. Some of the best gifts had to be the crawling witch hand and the four reusable mustaches, which I helped to pick out.
I saw Drowsy Chaperone today at Theatre Tuscaloosa, and it was wonderful. I was so glad to see my friends enjoying themselves in something that was so funny and well done. Now to end my weekend with food and Arrested Development before meeting the new VISTA at work tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment