Monday, August 8, 2011

For Hire

The title is inspired by a message that was taped on someone's graduation cap this weekend, which segues nicely into this being a post about my graduation this weekend.

Before this weekend, work was pretty slow. Mike and I are FINALLY scheduled to take the instructor course at the end of next week, so I can actually start teaching disaster courses. Thursday, I left work early to go get my teeth cleaned in Hoover, but it turned out that I was exactly two weeks early. Oops. I had at least made plans to stay there already to see Angels in America on opening night, which was wonderful and worth the drive. I also got to spend time with quite the interesting character, who asked me to feel his heartbeat during the show. I would like to thank Chris for that opportunity.

I was so happy to see everyone who came back into town this weekend, which made me realize how few people I actually knew in my year because I only needed to see 10 or so people. I hate that everyone couldn't make it back because the ceremony was great and not terribly long. My campus minister gave the opening prayer, which was a nice surprise. I loved that he made it vague enough to apply to anyone and not specifically Christian as many Southerners tend to do. Then they gave honorary degrees to the family of thos six students who died in the tornado. I wasn't ready for that emotional moment, and I thought it was a great decision on the University's part. I don't know if I would have been able to come back to get a degree for a dead family member.

After the ceremony, my family stayed for a quick second to get lunch before I was left to twiddle my thumbs and nap in my internetless and cableless apartment for hours before going out to celebrate graduation with Melinda, Donald, and Mitchell. It felt like being in school again, which this summer has severely lacked.

Sunday I helped Jake, Tommy, and Michelle move in to their new home named "The Kingdom." Michelle's mother's food was worth moving a few appliance and sofa pieces. I'm so happy that people are finally getting back into town. Living in a four person apartment by oneself can get quite boring. I also went to see the most recent Pirates movie with Chris last night. It was good but had one of the weakest subplots I have ever witnessed. I think this a brief overview of everything that happened. I miss everyone who was in town already, an dI'm excited for more people to start showing up to make Tuscaloosa feel normalish again.

1 comment: