Monday, September 19, 2011

You Got Serv(er)ed

This past week at work we did not have access to our server, the place where all of our documents are saved. This meant that a lot of work couldn't get done because we couldn't get the necessary documents to do it. Thus the week involved a lot of online crosswords and sudokus.
In actuality, it proved to be a busy week at times. I was called 3 hours before the regional office wanted me to teach a class in Hoover to a group of thirty-five, which is rather large for a disaster course. The class took place at a church on Valleydale. They were all nice and helpful, but as soon as my class was over, which they forced me to cut down thirty minutes, they all scattered, leaving me alone in their sanctuary to clean up.
I spent the rest of the week managing volunteers, a large majority of whom are here for court mandated community service. I like to say that it is Misdemeanor Season.

Along with class on Monday, I finally got my email to get access to Pottermore, and I'm proud to say that I was sorted into Ravenclaw. I was really nervous during the sorting quiz, but it rang true, for me at least. My two friends Sarah both should have been Hufflepuffs and were sorted otherwise. #TotalHuffMove

I was also able to make it back just in time to watch Real Housewives of Beverly Hills with Casey and Sarah. Sbansty, Case Face, and I only got to watch the first half, though, because as Brianna said, "It was too trashy for even the T.V. to handle." So we watched East Bound and Down instead because it's not trashy at all...

Tusday was the premiere of Sarah michelle Gellar's new show Ringer on the CW, and it was fairly good. I think the cheapness of the network ruined some of the special effects as did the network's insistance on playing popular music in the background of important scenes. Chris brought up the point of how could I possibly know that the music was popular. I just figure if the CW's playing it then some circle of people must enjoy it.

On Wednesday, the Donner Party pulled out another top five finish at trivia at Brown's Crown. We also got our third incorrect but funny answer for points. I've never seen anyone else get this honor. If we can't win, at least we're funny. Here's a list of teams I hate: Trivia Newton John, Red Elephants, and Chico's Bail Bonds.

Thursday was trivia night for the Chudley Cannons, and we did pretty well. We could have placed had we known when the Cranberries released their first album. Both nights we had a sporst question for halftime, which is pretty much the worst of all possible scenarios concerning trivia.


I'm stealing this multimidea idea from Sarah Langcuster. I think it makes the blog more readable when the dense text is broken up. Friday, I had dinner with Sbnasty and Brianna at Los Calientes and met up with them again hours later at the Gray Lady for Sarah's redemption for getting thrown out of the same bar on my 21st birthday a year and a half ago.

Saturday was filled with tailgating, promises of watching the game, and a walk from Laura's house to the Subway on 15th Street. There was also a 40 minute drive with a carful of people to go a distance less than 10 miles due to game day traffic and road closings.

Sunday was dedicated to Hecuba as I had a readthru and basic blocking rehearsal for the staged reading that I am doing this coming Thursday. I'm playing the role of Talthybius, a Greek soldier who tells the story of Polyxena's death to her mother, Hecuba. I think it'll be a lot of fun, but it is making this week busy already.

I'm teaching a Disaster Services: an Overview course this evening at University Mall at 6. It's FREE, and I would love it if all of you were there. It's more fun when there's a class to which to teach. Until then, I'll just be hanging out at the office still without a server.

2 comments: