Monday, September 26, 2011

A Hecuba Week


So week two without a server was about as eventful as week one was. This was a good thing since I was feeling under the weather and I had rehearsals for a staged reading of Euripides' Hecuba almost every night.

Workwise I taught Disaster Services: an Overview to a few volunteers and coworkers Monday night. The classes are a lot more fun when you know the people and can be more candid. Tuesday I had a meeting with the Hispanic Service Providers, which was attended poorly. There was, however, and entire class from the University that filmed the meeting and interviewed the few attendees afterward. Thursday, Joe, Mike, and I spent a lovely afternoon in Vernon, Alabama, trying to generate volunteer interest for Disaster Services. Today I had to teach a Shelter Operations course in Birmingham and rushed back for James's birthday party this afternoon.

I don't know if I've mentioned James yet, but he deserves a spotlight paragraph. He is a now thirty-eight-year-old mentally handicapped man, who works at our office helping with random tasks so that he has something to do during the day. His job description should actually include making fun of me because that is the area in which he spends most of his time. I love every minute of it. He makes fun of me for but not limited to the following things: having friends, eating chicken everyday, not driving my car for work related tasks, having hair like a lady, and trying to be the boss. Today was his birthday, and we were able to surprise him with a few gifts, cupcakes, and decorations. He is by far my favorite coworker, and he surprised me with a random act of kindness today. Even though it was his birthday, he thought about me and moved a trash can to be by my desk since I am always getting up to throw things away. That's the closest I've come to shedding a tear due to a trash can.

In my world outside of the Red Cross, I participated in that staged reading of Hecuba on Thursday and watched plenty of television before that including RHOBH, Ringer, Glee, and Survivor. Three Alpha Psi Omega, the theatre honors fraternity, alumni came into town. It's always great when someone is older than you at a party, so thanks to Sarah Carlton, Katy, and Dianna for making that possible. I also got a ticket to the football game thanks to Sarah! Watching Alabama kill Arkansas was a beautiful way to spend my Saturday afternoon. I love to see that Woo Pig Sooie go down.
 No amount of coloring could have saved Arkansas. I was so glad to see Chik-fil-a and Red Diamond sweet tea become available in the stadium.

Saturday night, Molly and Jess had a small amount of people go to their apartment for a post game get together. It was spot on. I'm so glad I was able to make their wall of shame... There were great games and music along with a fun drive home including Natalie, Lindsey, and Collin. Then Sunday involved relaxing at home in Hoover with the Doctor (Doctor Who) and an evening viewing of Leslie Jordan's stand up story of his journey from a closeted Tennessee teen to an openly gay and sober man. Chris and I both really enjoyed it and laughed quite frequently. Tonight is the next episode of Real Housewives of Beverly Hills. Sarah and I are pumped to see how things progress. It has indeed been a Hecuba week. That's word lpay sounding like "heck of a." I want to make sure my humor is appreciated. Below is a picture of the 11th incarnation of the Doctor.

2 comments:

  1. Wesley, I am really worried about this season of RHOBH. If they make my beloved Lisa the villain, I will just lose it. I can't have them dragging Lisa through the mud!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Always one to play with words, Wesley Glass.

    ReplyDelete