Monday, September 12, 2011

Cupcakes and Cheer

This week was not the most eventful, especially when compared to the extreme busyness of last week. Most of our time this week was spent doing damage assessment from the large amounts of rain over the weekend. It was hard to believe that it actually rained enough to cause this much damage, but a shelter had to be opened in Birmingham because there were over seventy displaced people. The damage wasn't as bad in Tuscaloosa, but on e of the places that flooded was out own building. Half of it is missing a roof from the storm, and it rained enough to flood the covered half of the building flooded ruining anything touching the floor.
Mike and I also taught our first disaster course on our own. It went over pretty well for the three students. I'm excited that we are actually doing what we were hired to do. We also had our third community day in Livingston, Alabama. It was kind of sad that this was our most successful one because the people of this poor community were friendlier and more giving of their money than the people we came into contact with in Tuscaloosa the week before.
In non work related news, The Donner Party got their first top 5 placing at trivia with a spectacular team effort. Friday night was Nick and Will's birthday celebration at Midnight Sushi at Surin with a mess of an afterparty at Molly and Jess's apartment. It seems as though "I haven't a pulse" is an inside joke now. Saturday was the first Guerrilla Theatre of the semester, and it was wonderful. Not all of the acts were amazing, but you could definitely tell that everyone put time into their performances.
Natalie and I did a scene from a play that I hope to resubmit for Alpha Psi Omega to produce next semester. Brian Sloan's WTC View explores the varying ways in which people cope in a post disaster life as the main character Eric searches for a new roommate ro fill a bedroom that once held a view of the World Trade Center in the days following September 11th. This scene was perfect for Natalie, and the relationship between the two characters was very similar to our own. Even though it deals with a different type of disaster, it is still very meaningful to me as a Tuscaloosan in a city torn apart by torandos. The scene was done after midnight on Saturday, which caused the performance to occur on the 10th anniversary. I think the arts can be a beautiful and helpful way to cope, and for me at least it was the most meaningful piece of theatre that I have done.
After a Saturday like that, Sunday was pretty lazy. After schooling Wozniacki, I watched Serena just fall apart playing Sam Stosur. Maybe Cyndi Lauper's terrible performance of the national anthem, Serena lost the motivation to play. I have my fingers crossed for Djokovic this afternoon because watching him beat Federer two sets down and at one point two match points down. After my own tennis match with my roommate Drew, I got to finish the weekend with a nice Mexican dinner with Abby and Alyce and a movie night enjoying Sarah Michelle Gellar's Suburban Girl. I'm pumped for her new show Ringer that comes out this week.
I have to go now because I've just been handed some kind of report from the Bankruptcy Court of Southern Ohio because the executive director can't figure out what it means... Looks like Kim Glass is getting a call.

1 comment: