Monday, August 29, 2011

Desperate Living

These weeks seem to be passing by more and more quickly as summer is nominally coming to a close, though the weather will be the same through October most likely. At the Red Cross this week, we were rather busy just because Sarah, our Health and Safety instructor, was out of the office all week dure to shoulder surgery. Dawn took her place this week and did a great job, but it is a lot of work to handle. The transition has resulted in everyone running around trying to get things in order, so people spend a good bit of time out of the office.
We got a social work intern this week that had been accepted by my former supervisor that is no longer here. She failed to pass that information on to anyone making his arrival a surprise. We tried out best to give him stuff to do, but he sadly fell through the cracks during the disaster. Nothing terribly important happened, but we did get a tentative class schedule made and were certified in Client Casework. Mike and I have touched base with everyone who wants disaster classes offered, so it's only a matter of time before our newly hung dry erase calendar becomes filled.

In the non work related world:
Tuesday: I got a great discount at Banana Republic thanks to Chris'(s) friends and family discount.
Wednesday: The Donner Party reigned supreme at trivia. Well, at least for the first half. Shout out to Jenae and Maggie for some awesome answers including our Stephen Hawking bonus points and "Another One Bites the Dust" courtesey of Red Cross CPR training.
Friday: Dinner of Fajita soup with a visiting Carrie Shirah and Sarah Icandobadallbymyself Langcuster at Jalapenos in Northport. I'm really frustrated that my work computer refuses to let me copy and paste the proper "n" with a tilde. This was followed by Georgia's birthday celebration, Sarah doing something mysterious in the crapper (dropping of some timber), Benae's house warming, and Degrassi marathon with Corey.
Saturday: I had barbecue with my family in Hoover and dinner with friends at Surin downtown. Then Chris, Amanda, his friend Lisa, and I watched the Goonies for free on a screen downtown that was also outside. The weather was perfect, and I love that movie. After this Chris intorduced me to a movie that I do not know if I will ever watch again. John Waters('s) creation Desperate Living was an interesting film to view including graphic nudity and just flat out disgusting things. I still laughed frequently, but I think my face was more of a permaent gasp during the majority.
Sunday: I interpreted at Holy Spirit's Cartas de Poder day, which involved getting power of attorney documents created for illegal immigrants just in case the are deported, which will be even more likely if the new law in Alabama survives court. Then Sarah Langcuster and I watched a few of our favorite bad television shows (Big Brother, True Blood, Keeping Up with the Kardashians, and Monarch of the Glen). We also made dinner and cookies, which improved on the evening greatly.
Now I must get back to tasks that don't directly apply to my job, but I must say that I am looking forward to the strart of football season this weekend. Rol Tide.

1 comment:

  1. You and your friends!

    I also liked that you put me in the crapper this weekend.

    See you soon Brujo!

    ReplyDelete