Tuesday, June 5, 2012

For Such a Time as This

At times like this it's hard to think about doing a weekly recap, but I haven't missed one yet. I named this post for a song that was always sung at camp, but I can' seem to find it anywhere, which probably means that it was either not very popular or it was an original piece. 

Someone I went to college with died in a car accident his weekend on her way home from a wedding that some of my very close friends were attending. I didn't know her too well, but she had at least been a presence I was aware of for the passed three years. I had actually interacted with her more recently because I met her mother at the regional Red Cross office. My only college memories of Laura involve her being crazy, making people laugh, slipping down hills at Halloween parties, but recently she had really grown up. She still had her intense joy, but she had funneled it into a passion for social work and had begun her job at AIDS Alabama. 

As an offshoot of this, it's made me realize that I need to actively pursue my ever changing goals. The way last year ended put me in a kind of rut that resulted in me staying in Tuscaloosa for another year. I do not regret the decision nor the work I've done in that time, but I need to get out and do other things because you just never know what will happen. 

With that being said, my time in Tuscaloosa is quickly coming to a close. I only have thirteen days left in the office. I can't believe that almost a year ago I was desperately trying to get in touch with my would be supervisor about my pre service orientation. Now I'm here sitting at a desk covered in schedules, lists, and forms. It is definitely not what I pictured I would be doing and has taught me a plethora of things. The main one being that I cannot for the life of me develop a good enough sleep schedule to support an 8(ish) to 4:30 job. 

On the less introspective side of things, I decided to be all hip this weekend and try two new places in Homewood's SoHo area. The first was The Little Donkey. It's a taquería that uses all natural and fresh ingredients. They make everything from scratch, which I think is pretty impressive. Amanda Coppock and I went Saturday afternoon. The cheese dip and guacamole were both really good as was the burrito with black beans and chicken I got for my entree. I really wish I had gotten the concoción as my side because it sounded so much like gallo pinto, which was my favorite breakfast dish in Costa Rica. They had some interesting specialty drink options that are also made from natural ingredients. I did not order any of them, but I hear that they can be on the bitter side. It was a great restaurant with a good atmosphere. It's a little on the pricey side for Mexican food, but the quality is much better than a standard Americanized Mexican restaurant.

We only had to travel two doors down for the other newly opened food place, Steel City Pops. For $3, you can get any of an array of flavored popsicles. They have the traditional chocolate, vanilla, and strawberry, but they also have balsamic strawberry and blood orange. I was safe and got the chocolate one and was well rewarded. Just like Little Donkey, they make everything they sell for the day fresh. In the morning they make all of the popsicles and even experiment with flavors. Then they sell them until they're gone. I'll definitely be going back. 

I'm really glad that Birmingham is continuing to develop little areas like this. It gives it the feel of a larger city with different neighborhoods. If I hadn't already lived there too long, it would definitely be somewhere worth looking into moving. Rehearsals for Second Samuel start tonight! And not last night like I thought and foolishly drove all the way to Birmingham just to turn around and come back...

No comments:

Post a Comment