Friday, May 11, 2012

Mike Check

This week we have been officially Mike-less, and it shows. Two days now I have been the only person in the office for Disaster Services, and I have done the casework for five fire cases this week alone. WHY?!?!?!? While I have enjoyed my time here, it is really starting to wear me down because I work a lot and sleep a little. Both are my fault, obviously. I think this feeling is similar to when you have all this energy and stress during the last week of classes and then as soon as it's over you just fall apart. As soon as I finished with Brazos Abiertos two weeks ago, I have just felt so unmotivated because I don't have anything large I'm working toward. I'm just trying to get volunteers trained to perform my different functions, which has proved less than easy with the abounding amounts of apathy in the world.

Well, now I'll stop complaining because who wants to read that? This week has been filled with good-byes. It's odd because I haven't been preparing for not seeing people again. It just hadn't crossed my mind until a few weeks ago. I'm so glad people will be here for portions of the summer. This will hopefully help balance out the amount of work...

Another thing that might help is that I have finally decided to move out of my apartment and live somewhere else for my last month of VISTA. I'm surprised I didn't break before now, but I tend to be able to put up with more than I should. It wasn't the drug use, the vibrator in my bed, or the stealing food from my closet that pushed me over the edge. No, it was him eating my leftover lasagna from Tut's. I am just a surprised as you that it is something so small. Finding it missing when I went to eat dinner really pissed me off, and he wasn't even home for me to get angry! He's out of town somewhere for who knows how long. So what do I do with my storming anger? I go to the grocery store. Logically. While soothing my anger with the purchasing of food, I made the realization that I have plenty of friends who have gone home and have leases that don't end until August. Thus, I took advantage of one of those and will hopefully be moving into Michelle's room for the month of June. Now I can live closer to work, eat the groceries I buy, and live with friends. It sounds like a good way to spend my last weeks in Tuscaloosa.

Karissa came into town Friday for a quick but immensely fun visit. We went to Midnight Sushi at Surin with a lot of APO people and then went to Icon for the drag show and ended up dancing by ourselves until 3 in the morning. I love how Karissa can make me just have care free fun. The bartender gave us two or three free shots (we can't remember how many...) that were purple in color and excellent in taste. Then we had lunch at Wings the next morning before going to the tornado play. Karissa has forgiven me for making her watch the first act, luckily.

Saturday was the last performance of the tornado play. I'm glad I was given the opportunity to be a apart of an event that, but I am even more ecstatic that I never have to sing "Our Bama Song" again. The last day the band couldn't be there, so we had to sing along to a CD with vocal tracks on it. I cried I was laughing so hard. I felt SO bad, but I couldn't control myself. It didn't help that Jessica was laughing next to me and Natalie, Chris, and Ben were all in my sight line. If anyone had a serious face, I lost it.

Our going away party for Mike was that night. It was also for me, but that was not as important since I am still here. I was happy to see Oscar and Ro again along with everyone from the office. Cody had gotten engraved gifts for us, so now I have a globe to take with me on my travels from my friends at Red Cross. The highlight of the night for most people was at my expense. James and I decided to play a game of pool, and he beat me! No one was watching the first half of the game when I was winning. They just all showed up for the end and made fun of me using the small stick when I had to make shots to close to the wall. James swears he never plays pool, but I know better.

I don't know how to transition to this, but I love Tuscaloosa summers. Michelle and I were discussing this at trivia the other night. Somehow drama gets eliminated over the summer, and it's just easy living. You hang out with a small group of friends to whom you become really close. I'm glad that's how my time in Tuscaloosa will end.

Wednesday, Jake, Michelle, and I went to City Cafe because Jake had never been. It's a good meat and three, and it was the last time I saw Jake before her left! It doesn't feel like it'll be a while before I see these people again, but it could be months or years! Too surreal.

At trivia, Michelle and I were "Let Them Eat Cake" in reference to that stupid celebration people had in North Carolina after Amendment 1 passed. People are entitled to their view, but having a party with wedding cake to celebrate denying human rights to other Americans? It lacks tact, in my opinion. Anyway, Michelle and I were able to come from being in 18th place after the first half to finishing in 4th place overall. We even got the final question right! It was a proud moment in trivia history. If we had gotten one more question right, we could have been in third. Michelle is such an easy person to hang out with. I am so glad we'll be in DC together by 2013! Unless the Mayans have something to say about it...

I'll end with just brief statement of happiness in reference to Barack Obama. I know that his statement could have and should have been said much sooner than it was. I also realize he took a political risk in bringing the issue of gay marriage to the forefront of the election at this point. I am so grateful for him as a president. I listened to his interview on NPR the other morning and had tears in my eyes listening to his reasoning and why his personal view had evolved. I don't think this means at all that there will be a definite decision on this issue in the near future, but I do think that if re-elected he will continue to fight for the rights of all people regardless of gender and sexuality. This link: http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/interactive/2012/may/08/gay-rights-united-states?ref=nf shows a comparison of rights for people of different sexuality and gender identity in every state, and looking at The South upsets me so much. Well, that's my political soapbox, I suppose. Here's a picture about how I feel about Barack Obama.





No comments:

Post a Comment