Friday, February 3, 2012

Make It Work!

It feels like these weeks are getting shorter with even more packed in them. Work and Hamlet are keeping me quite busy. I finished my volunteer efforts on the DR last Wednesday, so I’ve been in the office since then trying to get back on track for this month. This post will also cover the Australian Open, trivia, and Skanks in a One Horse Town.


I’m so happy that I got to watch some really good matches from the Australian Open, but my sleep schedule may not be as happy. It should have gotten used to it by now, though, since I’ve been staying up to see these matches that last until 3 or 4 in the morning for years now. I guess this is just the first year that I had to be up by 8 the next morning… I’m glad my man, Novak Djokovic, continued his domination of most major finals. His match against both Andy Murray and Rafael Nadal were very entertaining. Serena did not pull through for me sadly. I painfully watched her lose to Makarova or Macarena, whichever it was. I guess it’s cool that Victoria Azerenka won her first major. At least the women’s field is slightly more open than the men’s.

Trivia was an epic event this week. We had to stand for fifteen minutes just to get a table because it was so crowded. We were nervous that it would start without us sitting down, but it didn’t. It just never started. Then, finally, we hear that they postponed the start time until after the Alabama South Carolina basketball game. This lasted until 9 PM and resulted in an upsetting Alabama loss. Then there were technical difficulties with the sound system, so we didn’t actually start. Oddly enough, we had chosen the team name “Make It Work!” as an homage to Project Runway. The Trivia Jockey took it as a jab at the problems delaying the game. We also had our first top five finish at this venue! If only we had any idea about sports teams winning championships, then we could have won.

Thursday I taught a Disaster Action Team Orientation at the University Mall for work. It was the briefest of overviews explaining all of the things a DAT can do and how they function to respond to single family fires and other disasters. I unfortunately got my dinner to go from Picadilly right before class because people tend to show up late. EVERYONE was on time, so I didn’t get to eat until afterward. Speaking of which, I went to eat my wonderful dinner at my friend Sydney’s house, which was my house last semester. We LOLed and ROFLed as we talked about the love of Klaine we share and watched the Olsen twins in It Takes Two. That movie is just the right amount of cheesy, and I love it.

Friday, I went with Amanda Maddox, Jeremy, and a few others to see Skanks in a One Horse Town. It was… interesting to say the least. As with any of Billy Ray’s original shows, it was raunchy and peppered with obscure popular culture references. We sat on the front row, which made it all the more enjoyably uncomfortable. Once the play was done, a large group of people went to the drag show at a bar downtown. The one hosting the show had played one of the parts in the play while an actor was sick. The show was fun to watch, and I managed to make it through with only one person creeping on me. Then Jeremy and I went to catch up at the 24 Hour McDonalds dining room until way too earlier in the morning. I guess that can happen when you have three years to fill someone in on.

Sunday was my third rehearsal for Hamlet. I think it’s going really well. I’m excited for the show to come together once everyone gets off book. We’ve gotten a glimpse into our costumes, and I am sure mine will be a hit even if I am extremely jealous of all of Hannah’s Gertrude outfits. I’ve been working on memorizing this week because as of this coming Sunday we will have all off book rehearsals.

Monday was fairly uneventful except for a Community Day Mike set up in Reform, Alabama. We knew we had to go to a grocery store, but the ever vague Google Maps did not take us to the correct spot. We arrived at a home with the same last name as the people that owned the grocery store on their mailbox. We eventually found the store downtown only to discover that it had been shut down and gutted some time ago. At this point, we were under the impression that we had agreed to set up outside of an area with 0 foot traffic. Luckily, that was not the case. They had just moved down to another part of the tiny town.

Tuesday night Mike and I taught Disaster Assessment and DAT Orientation to a fairly large group of volunteers in Belk, Alabama. We’re trying our best to get people trained in all eight counties, and we’ve taught classes in half of them so far. It’s definitely a tall order to get people in small rural towns interested in becoming trained volunteers. Our hope is to get the Disaster Action teams set up or expanded in all of the counties. Since I have less than five months left, I guess I should get on that. Hopefully, next week I’ll actually be able to post on Wednesday, so that I can be caught up.

James Quotes of the Week

“You got four pairs of eyes.”

“She getting nasty now. Everybody heard that.”

“She done gone put her foot in her mouth.”

No comments:

Post a Comment