Monday, November 14, 2011

Wisdom Pulled


Any witty pun involving Kirstie Alley and/or the Rock escaped me in trying to title this blog, so I went for an Ayn Rand esque configuration of words.


Before we get to the climax of my wisdom teeth getting pulled, we'll start with the rising action of the rest of the week. it really wasn't a very busy week with work after the craziness of Monday. Tuesday, Sarah and I watched Glee and Ringer. Wednesday, I taught Disaster Services: an Overview to my friend Lee and the rest of the fundraising department at the Hoover office. Only three of them worked at the office suring the tornado and wanted all of the newly hired members to understand how disaster services works and what their specific role would be in an operation. It was interesting to see how all the departments of an office come together during a disaster because I had not really thought of that since our office is too small to really even have departments.

After a quick lunch at the Hoover office, I came back to Tuscaloosa for my voice lesson and to teach a one on one Client Casework class before going to our next to last Community Emergency Response Team training course at the mall. Luckily this class was shorter than normal, and I was able to go help Mean Girls, the former Donner Party, start the off season with a bang getting 2nd place at trivia. We have now gone over a month without paying for dinner on Wednesdays because of our trivia winnings.  During trivia the Joe Paterno decision was announced on ESPN. I can't imagine how I would react if someone I knew and respected for years was caught up in that kind of scandal. Poor Penn State could not catch a break this week especially when you include their loss to Nebraska on Saturday.

Due to Veterans Day the Alabama region of the Red Cross had a half day Thursday, so the VISTAs had lunch with our supervisor Holli in order to learn about what we were supposed to be doing this entire time whilst supervisor-less. After a long nap, Casey, Sarah, and I went to eat at Los Calientes. I didn't know when I would be able to eat solid foods again, so I made sure to eat as much as possible that day. Casey and I proceeded to fail to get into City of Angels on the standby list, so I spent the rest of my evening before sleeping watching Being Human and doing Wii Fit.


I'm obsessed. Luckily, there are only thirteen episodes, so it didn't take up too much of my time. It's one of those shows that if you try to explain it no one would ever watch it, which is common among fantasy. Thus I will not try to explain my love for it, but I think it handles the popular werewolf vampire conflict better than both True Blood and Twilight.

After a night of dreams involving eating before surgery and IV complications, I was at the oral surgeon at 7:40. As I sat with my IV sticking out of my arm, the nurses in the hallway discussed their favorite desserts while I thought about how I hadn't been allowed to eat or drink anything since midnight.

Once the doctor finally came in the next thing I remember after a drug induced journey was walking to the recovery chair and texting a bunch of people and twitter. My dad then drove me back to Hoover, and I had to communicate with him via the American Sign Language alphabet.

The rest of the weekend was spent drinking broth, eating foods I wasn't ready for, and spending time with my family in Chattanooga. They're still not settled in from moving there after the tornado destroyed their homes in Phil Campbell, AL. If you're ever in Chattanooga, I did get a great chicken sandwich and fries at Nikki's Drive-In.
 

Yesterday was Alabama's second annual Quidditch on the Quad. Thanks to the American Red Cross I was unable to participate. I did get to pick up my t-shirt and see Alpha Psi Omega's excellent opening skit. The Quidditch World Cup was held in New York this weekend. I have to find a way to get in on that. I think I may be going to grad school for the sole purpose of playing Quidditch and getting football tickets. I'm not kidding. Quidditch on the Quad is one of the Top 5 best days of my life.



I have to give credit to my first little in Alpha Psi Omega and wonderful friend Alexandra Tucci. She was one of the major components in planning this event both years, and even though she hasn't been active in APO she still cheers for us and only us. Last night she, Sarah, and I shared a bottle of wine, some food, and religion based reality television shows. This is Alexandra and Casey.


As always we watched Sisterwives as they ventured to Boston for a college tour and question and answer forum. I know that they're kind of trashy, but I find these shows really eye opening. I have to admit that I would be naturally close minded to the thought of multiple spouses, so I think the Brown family has been able to persuade people into seeing a different view point. Last night was also the premiere of All American Muslim. We loved it. It shows a wide spectrum of how people practice Islam. I think it'll be a great show worth watching. In this week's episode a man converted to Islam so that he could marry his fiance. It looks like that will be causing some tension later on.

Now I'm just waiting for the day to end so that I can teach, watch RHOBH and A List Dallas, and have Wii Fit tell me that I am the only person in the world that gained weight after having their wisdom teeth pulled.

Here's a picture of Stanford's mascot. Mike just informed me that it is the mascot's responsibility to make his or her own costume.

No comments:

Post a Comment