Wednesday, October 19, 2011

A State of Disaster

This can apply to a lot of things: the Red Cross in general, our specific office, the state of Alabama, etc. All of this will be covered later.

We last left off on Wednesday of last week. Since that point work has been a blur of business and miscommunication and everyone helping everyone do everything. In Tuscaloosa, we are just trying our best to get things organized, which would be easy if we didn't have to keep functioning as a nonprofit. We had a statewide meeting yesterday of the Emergency Services A List in the Hoover office. This meeting was both educational and frustrating, but I do think that things will be improving as a result. This time of transition just came at a terrible time with our old building destroyed and our resources spread out all over the county. We're doing pretty well for missing most of our server and having very few paid staff members.
I've tried to keep myself busy personally as well. Wednesday night the Donner Party was able to score another point for the trivia league. Hopefully tonight we'll be able to get another solid victory. We really do hate Chico's Bail Bonds. Thursday Sarah and I spoiled ourselves to dinner and Project Runway. Being at Buffalo Phil's made me miss my dining dollars so much. The fingers of fire are just too good.

Saturday, I went to see the University of Alabama's production of Animal Crackers. It was much more entertaining than I was expecting it to be. A lot of that was thanks to Caroline Schmidt and her wonderful portrayal of Harpo as The Doctor. She only said one word the entire show and was still the best part. Following the production, I drove quickly home to spend sometime with Rachel Folsom. We caught up while simultaneously watching The A List Dallas, going to McDonalds for sweet tea and cookies, and renting Something Borrowed from the Red Box. Then we went to see Bridesmaids at the dollar theatre Sunday afternoon, which was wonderfully funny. Here's Rachel:

Monday was perfection. I taught a Disaster Assessment course at the Birmingham office downtown. My friend Lee took the course and was a wonderful student. There were a couple of questions I wasn't prepared for, and she was able to help out. I also want to say that Ruthie "I can make a joint out of a pipe cleaner" Coleman was also there. After class Lee and I had lunch at Urban Standard. IT WAS AMAZING. I thought I had been to all the major Birmingham restaurants, but I had not ventured to this Northside eatery. If they had sweet tea, I'd eat there everyday. I had so much fun just relaxing and chatting with someone who understands the Red Cross things I talk about.
Last night, Sarah and I fed ourselves and our television addictions. After a fun filled RHOBH on Monday, I was glad that Sarah Michelle Gellar's The Ringer didn't disappoint. Corey joined us but didn't enjoy people getting killed by their friends. I'll talk about this show as long as it's on the air, so you better hope it gets cancelled. The more important part of the evening was our dinner. We went to Taco Casa on 15th Street. It just reopened after the tornado in April damaged it. Now I know that there are seven other area locations, but this one meant a lot to me because it was the one I frequented from birth until now.


Today, the Red Cross has its own fire in the form of over microwaved muffins. James, who is one of my favorite employees other than Tree at the Hoover office, normally asks me to cook things in the microwave for him, but today he took a brave but unsuccessful step toward Independence. The two muffins he put in the microwave came out as hard bricks that caused the smoke detector to go off, which prompted the fire department to call (ten minutes later). The only way to disarm the detector was to unplug it, and that took us a good 15 minutes to accomplish. Holli is a little upset that we didn't inform her of the mini fire because she was unable to hear the alarm in her office, meaning were it real she would have burned up. #irony

I am sitting at the office waiting to activate a Client Assistance Card because the IT department has not given us the ability to do it ourselves... Thus I will give you a list of some great reality television quotes.

"Werewolf balls."

"My party went from flash mob to splash mob, and I was not happy about it."

That's all for now.

2 comments:

  1. Next time you can do it, James!
    I can't believe Urban Standard doesn't have sweet tea...
    DP 4 lyfe.

    ReplyDelete