Thursday, April 5, 2012

Bubble Witch Saga

The title is a shoutout to Cody and the ridiculous facebook games he plays during work like Mystery Manor and Bubble Witch Saga.

I'm starting this post in mild annoyance after I drove to Ensley last night to teach a class last night in some of the worst traffic 20/59 has seen. When I got there the program leader decided to cancel the class because there was a miscommunication about the class that has been taught at the same time on the same day of the week for a month. Then I come in this morning, and one of our interns refuses to listen to me as I try to explain something to her that she's complaining about. I guess I just had a shorter fuse than normal for stupidity today.

To move back in time to happier things, last weekend was Alpha Psi Omega's initiation and pledge Guerrilla. I cannot believe it's been a year since the initiation week that I planned. I can't go into all the details of the evening because I guess it's supposed to be a secret or something, but I was so fortunate that Jake allowed me to come back and be a part of it. Teddy Bear the dog was quite the celebrity that evening. I doubt he's ever been around so many people, but he didn't pee or poop inside. He did hump Leah quite a bit, but that's to be expected. I was so proud to see that over 20 of my pledges were volunteering that evening for the different activities. I loved being able to see them share the same wonderful experience they had (I hope) with the newly inducted members.

The party that night was all kinds of crazy just because it didn't start until 2 or so in the morning. My BPPFL, Kaitlin, and I dominated the beer pong table again which took most of the evening as the entire membership crammed into the Pink House. I have to point out one particularly intense match against Michael Vine and Gia Asperas. TWICE Michael got our last cup, and TWICE I got their last cup on redemption negating his achievement. Then when I made the cup one he did the same thing. FINALLY, Kaitlin was able to make it that one last time sealing our victory. I got home at 4 in the morning and had to take a shower. Luckily, Teddy Bear was passed out when I got back to my room. He was not upset that I brought him back before the party.

Saturday, Teddy Bear had his first  photo shoot with my ex roommate, Rae Marshall. She just wanted to do something pretty with the dog an a girl, Natalie, who had similar hair to the dog. I even got a few free pictures out of it.


After taking the pics, I spent some time gleeking out with Sydney before I went to see The Hunger Games for the second time. I'm obsessed. If I already wasn't because of the books, Josh Hutcherson as Peeta makes me glad that three years isn't a creepy age distance. I found a picture on pinterest that describes this same realization others around the world are going through.
Pinned Image

After the movie was Guerrilla. There were some really good acts including many songs, as always. Someone condensed the South Park movie into 10 minutes, which was pretty funny. I don't know if any other Guerrilla will be able to compare to my Senior on, but I think that would be true for most people. I just don't think you can compare the catharsis achieved on that night. Because of how late Friday night went, I went straight to bed as soon as the show was over. And by straight to bed, I mean went to reread Catching Fire while in bed.

Monday I gave Teddy Bear back to his owners. It was not a tearful good-bye. I learned that I am not ready to have anything or anyone dependent on me. I was already pretty sure this was the case, but Teddy Bear's stay confirmed it. I will, however, be watching him again at the end of the month.

The work week has been a nice combination of busy and not. The Brazos Abiertos health fair is quickly approaching. While I don't know if we'll be as successful as the event has been in the past, I do believe we'll accomplish the main goal of providing free health screening and information. People just have to come receive it.

Red Cross amped it up this week. We have our Disaster Action Teams up and running and the people in the office are splitting up being on call as DAT Leaders until volunteers gather enough experience to fill those roles. Along with being on call for a few nights this week, I also had a CRAZY Wednesday. I drove up to Guin Tuesday night after trivia (Sabor de Soledad did not win :( ). The next morning I left Nanny's house and went to Sulligent First Baptist Church for lunch and to train them in Shelter Operations. They were a great group who knew how to cook some great beans, peas, meat loaf, and chicken fingers. I hope they weren't too offended when I explained to them that a shelter is not an opportunity to evangelize. Baptists can be on the more close minded side when it comes to accepting others. They did have a very stereotypical Baptist moment when they mentioned buying juice at a cheese store in Mississippi. The speaker wanted everyone to know that while the juice came in wine bottles it is not wine! LoLoLoLoLoL 

After this positive teaching experience, I drove all the way back to Tuscaloosa with just enough time to pick up materials for the class in Ensley... Now I have to go and make a meme about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment