Friday, March 23, 2012

The City of Vernon...

HuNgEr GaMeS!1!1!1!1!1!1!

I'll talk about things less nerdy first and cover the movie in a separate post. I thought I would have a dearth of things to mention this week due to being Hamletless and lacking many friends in town to do things with, but I was wrong. Plenty of things happened since last Thursday, and here they are.

Thursday night Michelle and I went to trivia at Wilhagan's under the name Et Tu Brute. Apparently, Ides of March jokes are not bar material. We did fairly well with a top 10 finish and had these wonderful chili queso burgers with the heavily seasoned fries that seem to be a trademark. There was a Buffy question which I got to assign nine points to, so I would have been happy if we were in last place with just those nine points.

Friday, Stephanie and I reunited for some appetizers at Chili's and went to a traveling parking lot carnival near McFarland "Mall." I put that word in quotation marks because I really don't think a dollar general and Kip Tyner's television studio really count as a mall. The fair was just as sketchy as one might expect. The rides all make weird noises and are run by people that seem less than enthused to be there. We learned a lot about the history of the ferris wheel as we attempted to read a short paragraph posted on the ride while went around and around. It was a nice last hurrah for my super long hair to be blown around. I got it cut right after I left the fair. Anytime I get my hair cut it looks like that one scene when Bugs Bunny cuts that big orange monster's hair.

 My weekend was not super eventful compared to last year's Saint Patrick's Day, which involved trying to find a random bar and ending up on Christopher Street (Go figure). This year I got a new phone for a due date birthday present. My dad ushered me into 2007 by finally getting me a Smart Phone. Now I am addicted to Draw Something. I tried to get it on facebook previously but accidentally added an application called Draw My Thing. Abby, Alyce, and I had dinner Sunday to catch up after Will and I had a day full of Marion Party 9. While we ate, Abby, Alyce and I spent an equal amount of time talking about a possible Hunger Games Parody and also drawing things for each other. We took a brief break to go look at preteen puberty books in Barnes and Nobel. This was actually an accident and not our intended purpose with going into the store.

That night as I attempted to come back to Tuscaloosa before driving to Sulligent the next morning, I was approached by a drunk woman with a broken down car to drive her to Bessemer. Luckily, she ended up just having me drive her across the street to wait for AAA. I was so afraid of it turning into one of those situations in which you are rewarded for kindness with being murdered.

I went to Sulligent Monday morning to talk to a group of Senior Citizens before their daily lunch at a Community Center. They were all so nice and are really interested in becoming disaster volunteers and more importantly buying t-shirts. They also gave me a free saltless lunch that was really good. I can't say no to english peas. I also can't say no to Bento. Casey and I went there to catch up and enjoy some excellent America Japanese food.

Tuesday was another Hispanic Service Providers meeting. Brazos Abiertos is quickly approaching, and we are scrambling to get it all together. I know it well all happen, but it's stressful being the fall guy for an event that has been a large success in the past. It may be sloppy, but I'm sure it'll serve its purpose to educate people of the Latin American Population about what resources are available to them and how they can get more involved.

Mike, Bev, Joe, and I also met with the University students planning our Volunteer Recognition Event and our bar crawl fundraiser. They are doing a really great professional job. I'm really excited to go to the picnic Saturday and MORE excited about the bar crawl.

Wednesday T-T-T-Tebow and the Jets did the best job at trivia! We were in 3rd place before the final question after getting some really obscure answers. We sadly missed the final ordering of some movies from the 40s. The only thing I contributed was that I knew Wizard of Oz was before Casablanca because of the Great Movie Ride at Disney World.

Well, the next blog will be all about the Hunger Games premiere. I'll leave you with some James Quotes.

"Do people in Hell want cold water?" James's equivalent of "Is the Pope Catholic?"

"Why are you slapping your paws?" James asking me why I was clapping

"f***" No explanation

No comments:

Post a Comment